Whether it’s a snatch or jerk, overhead stability is important. Makes sense, right?
My favorite exercises for overhead stability are listed below with points of performance.
- Y-raises. These are done very light. The scapular exercises don’t need to be heavy as these muscles are small in nature.
- Assume bent over row position
- Hold either 2.5# or 5# in each hand, let arms hang down the midline of the body loosely
- Shoulders internally rotated
- With straight arms, retract scapula, raise arms (flexion in the shoulder joint) and finish at an overhead position while still in bent over row position
- Do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps
- External Rotation into Press
- Assume prone lying position on a bench
- Hold 2.5# or 5# in each hand
- Keeping the shoulder and elbow at 90 degrees with the fingers facing the ground, externally rotate the shoulder so that your thumb is now facing your ear
- Extend the elbow into and overhead position like a strict press
- Do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Overhead Earthquake Bar Walk. This is done with a barbell with resistance bands looped through kettlebells/plates looped onto the collars.
- Choose a safe method of getting the bar overhead with a snatch grip
- With a tight midline, walk 30-60 feet
- Do 5-6 sets.
I personally love Earthquake Bar style lifts for any pressing or overhead movements. My shoulders feel healthier and stronger after doing these. If you’ve never done this before, give it a shot! The bands looped through weights onto the collar will create a very shaky instability. Of course, consider safety first and stay light at first.
Give all of these exercises a shot and feel the benefits of stronger and more stable shoulders. As always, give us a review and a like on Facebook. Feel free to come in and get started with Victory Kid Barbell and see how olympic weightlifting can help you!
Get Started with Victory Kid Barbell Today
“As far as nutrition goes for weightlifting, it doesn’t have to be different than the one we would prescribe for any CrossFitter: meats, veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. ” – Coach Mike
CrossFit had always peaked my interest, but I kept thinking that I wasn’t strong enough.
Because my parents were always overweight, I just assumed that was the way I should accept I would turn out because I had poor genes.
“Ideally, with this equipment we are using it once we get close to a competition or scheduled max out in order for us to get used to that gear and what it does to our body. We are trying to peak at the right time with our strength and have all aspects dialed in. ” -Coach Mike
I have tried many fun fitness activities over the years (after I finally got the motivation to get off the couch and cigarettes!)
“Better mobility in the squat and overhead position leads to safer and improved technique; and improved technique leads to heavier lifts.” -Coach Mike
I’ve trained for couple of half marathons, run, and I’d hit my goal. Post-race, I’d lose the spunk and go back to living my life.
I like to play— I could play almost any competitive group activity for hours. I think that’s one of the reasons I have enjoyed CrossFit so much.
My brain fog and sluggishness are now a thing of the past and I’m more fit than ever.
“People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. We make it a priority here at Victory Kid Barbell, and Friction CrossFit…” -Coach Mike